Sick certificates

You only need a doctor’s note if you are unable to work and are ill for longer than seven calendar days. Your employer will provide you with an SC2 self-certificate form for shorter periods of illness.

Before a Medical Certificate is issued, the Doctor will normally need to see the patient to discuss their illness.

A Fitness to Work certificate is not normally issued for the 1st weeks absence from work, you can submit to your employer an SC2 form (Statutory Sick Pay Employees Statement of Sickness) which you can complete yourself without having to see a Doctor.

These can be downloaded from the HMRC website by clicking on the link below.

SC2 Form