Been coughing for 3 weeks or getting out of breath easily?
Did you know that having a cough for more than three weeks or getting out of breath doing things you used to be able to do, such as vacuuming could be signs of lung disease, heart disease or even cancer?
Our current Be Clear on Cancer campaign encourages people to go to their doctor if they experience any of the above symptoms. The chances are it’s nothing serious, but if it is cancer, finding it early makes it more treatable. So don’t ignore it, tell your doctor.
Signs to watch out for >
A cough that lasts three weeks or more is a key symptom of lung disease, including lung cancer, but other symptoms include:
- a cough that has got worse or changes
- frequent chest infections
- coughing up blood
- chest or shoulder pain
- Getting out of breath doing everyday activities such as light housework
- feeling more tired than usual for some time
- losing weight for no obvious reason, or loss of appetite
Useful links >
- NHS Be Clear on Cancer website
- Cancer Research website
- NHS Choice – Heart disease
- NHS Choices – Lung cancer
- NHS Choices – Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease